Institute of Energy Studies and Research
IESR, Initially Kenya Power Training school was started in 1957 at Nairobi South Power Station by the East African Power and Lighting Company. It was relocated to Ruaraka, its present location in 1962 where it occupies a 12.8 acre piece of land. The institute was established with the aim of developing technical and supervisory skills amongst existing company (Kenya Power and Lighting Company- KPLC) employees and later opened to offer training for the general public including both students and professionals. The Institute is also currently engaging in active research and innovation that is beneficial to the energy sector
Nationally, IESR is expected to support Kenya’s development agenda as guided by the Vision 2030 which seeks to transform Kenya into a newly industrialized, middle income economy providing a high quality of life to all citizens in a clean and secure environment. In the year 2014, the Regional Heads of State designated the Institute as the regional Centre of excellence for capacity building in power generation, transmission and interconnectivity for the Northern Corridor Integration Projects (NCIP). The Institute will also serve the wider energy sector covering all the players including those dealing with renewable energies such as wind, solar, geothermal among others.
Vision: To be an energy centre of excellence in education, research and innovation
Mission: To provide world-class energy education, research and innovation using cutting edge Scientific technology
Location: IESR is located off Thika Road, next to Kenya Utalii College, about 7km from Nairobi City.
IESR research focuses on the following areas:
- Renewable Energy Systems (RES)
- Data Analytics Laboratory (DAL)
- Smart Grid Laboratory (SGL)
- Energy in Transport (EIT)
- High Voltage Engineering Laboratory (HVL)
- Electrical Machines Laboratory (EML)
- Power Electronic and Devices (PED)
- Material Science Research Laboratory (MSR)
The section has 2 PhD holders and 4 Masters Holders in addition to other staff who are graduate in electrical engineering and social sciences.